The Start of My Last Ride


With anything you do in your life there will be beginnings and endings, firsts and lasts, as I head into my last semester of college and also my last season as a player on the Ohio Northern Men’s Lacrosse Team you might think I have seen it all and done it all. However in the first week alone we have experienced a new first.

In my last first week the polar bears men's lacrosse team has experienced a new first. With this winter being particularly chilly and the NCAA’s rules pertaining to weather we were forced for the first time in program history to take our talents from the icy tundra AKA Dial Roberson Stadium into the field house at the Kinghorn athletic facility. What felt like a strange practice to both the players and coaches was captured by the head coach Nat St. Laurent and posted on the ONU Men’s Lacrosse twitter account for all to see how the bears were still getting work in even in the poor weather conditions.

A few more experiences from the first week of my final season as a polar bear were my last first day of practice, my last time moving into the locker room that we’ve called home for four years and I am currently going through my last preseason. All of these lasts really make you think about how fast this whole college thing goes by, it feels like just yesterday I was a freshman traveling across the country and moving into a tiny dorm room with someone I’ve never met before. It is fun and also somewhat humorous to look back at what my class did as freshman and to see how we’ve grown but also to look back at the classes under us and see how they take on the obstacles that we conquered if they go about it the same way, differently, or if they even face the same issues at all.   
It is amazing how much something can change in four short years, from a freshman that felt almost invincible to a senior that aches all over for almost no reason. The last ride for this polar bear is going to be a good one.

Comments

  1. It's sad when something you've enjoyed and been doing for so long finally has to come to an end. I had been a swimmer my whole life until I left for college. The routine is helpful and you come to enjoy your teammates and the sport itself. For me, it was a strange love/hate relationship. I hated waking up early and dragging myself to practices but the work somehow made it all worth it. I wish you luck in all your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to see how you had to overcome adversity due to the frigid weather, that shows real commitment by both players and coaches! Glad to hear you that you have grown into a leadership role and learned from your mistakes in order to help the classes below you not make the same mistakes you have. Try not to focus on all the lasts that are happening but try to look at the new firsts that have been presented to a seasoned veteran like yourself. Well Done > Well Said

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Social Media for Strategic Communication Recap

Fake News in Sri Lanka